About Social Enterprise Greenhouse
Social Enterprise Greenhouse (SEG) accelerates impact by providing inclusive support and networks for entrepreneurs and businesses committed to positive societal and economic change. SEG fosters an ecosystem of diverse stakeholders who work to enable a more just, equitable, and resilient economy. SEG is based in Providence Rhode Island and operates statewide, virtually, and from sites in Providence, Newport, and Pawtucket/Central Falls.
About the Position
This is an exciting opportunity to join an innovative, community-based organization providing programs and services to hundreds of mission-driven entrepreneurs every year. Are you a detail-oriented systems thinker? Do you have experience with nonprofit accounting and Quickbooks Online? Do you want to help support entrepreneurs tackling some of our biggest environmental and social challenges? Join our team to help maintain and strengthen SEG’s financial management and reporting.
As the Staff Accountant, you will ensure that SEG is able to track, manage and report on our finances by managing financial and accounting systems and processes. You will report to the Senior Director of Finance and Operations. Preference will be given to candidates based within an hour of Providence, RI. This is intended to be a hybrid role with 2 days working from SEG offices but additional remote work could be considered.
- Financial Tracking and Recording
- Track and maintain an up-to-date and accurate accounting system in Quickbooks Online
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures
- Maintain oversight of the accounts payable function, including positive relationships with vendors.
- Make deposits and monitor bank activity
- With guidance, appropriately allocate state, federal and foundation funds
- Reporting and Monthly Closing Tasks
- Prepare bank reconciliations
- Support employee time reporting and record salary allocations in accounting system
- Responsible for month-end and year-end close including journal entries, prepaid, accruals, fixed assets and revenue recognition
- Prepare monthly financial reports
- Prepare grant financial reporting including for State and Federal government awards
- Support grant application budget proposals
- Support annual audit activities, working with independent auditors and ensuring accuracy of financial statements and Form 990
- Payroll / Benefits
- Prepare and submit payroll and retirement fund deposits with approval
- Gather and verify information for yearly 1099s and W-2s
- Program Support
- Work with Program Leads on program budget management
- Support contract process and ensure compliance as necessary
- Support workshops on financial matters for programs as needed
- Conduct SEG Loan Fund administration, tracking client disbursements and payments
Core Skills and Capacities
- Experience: 3+ years demonstrated experience in non-profit finance and accounting along with a relevant degree or education. Experience with Federal awards and external audit processes strongly preferred.
- Systems: Tech savvy including experience with accounting systems (Quickbooks Online preferred), Excel and/or Google Sheets.
- Execution: Passionate about and excellent aptitude for getting things done.
- Detail-Orientation: Sweats the small stuff and doesn’t let important details fall through the cracks.
- Organization and Planning: Plans and organizes in an efficient, productive manner. Well organized, self-initiated and solutions focused.
- Commitment to Addressing Issues of Race & Equity: Demonstrates an active commitment to viewing our work through an equity lens.
Preferred but not required: Fluency in Spanish
This position is full-time starting as soon as possible.
Starting Salary Range: $60,000
Benefits: Healthcare including vision and dental options, Simple IRA with up to 3% employer matching, long term disability, life insurance, paid vacation and sick time, professional development and training opportunities (including budget and time allocated for your professional development), and remote work options.